Friday, April 16, 2010

Long time, no post

Okay, I have a lot of catching up to do.

First, sorry to anyone who has been checking my blog fruitlessly for updates. I have to be honest and say... I've been avoiding you. Not you personally, of course. I've been avoiding this blog, or maybe I've been avoiding cancer. Ultimately this is proving to be very difficult, especially with the 5:00 pm daily reminder at each of my radiation treatments. Obviously I am not doing a very good job of avoiding cancer, because that is probably why I couldn't sleep tonight and why I am up at 5am writing a long overdue blog update.

Here's the cancer cliff notes: I started radiation treatments on March 24th and have been prescribed 33-36 treatments once a day, 5 days a week. Works out to be about 7 weeks. This includes a "boost" at the end, or a set of treatments that are focused in just where the tumor was. Otherwise, the treatments cover a wider area from the middle of my chest over to my armpit and up to my clavicle. I got a cold my first week of treatment and never really stopped feeling tired after it was gone, and this week I started noticing a sunburn and some mild irritation. I am frustrated with not being able to do as much as I want to without getting tired, but really it could be so much worse.

Everyone wants to know what the treatments are like. Truth be known, they are sort of relaxing in a weird way. Once you get used to all the beeping and buzzing, it's actually kind of nice to lay down and do nothing for 2 minutes at the end of your work day. They made a mold of me using some high-tech bean bag (I keep wondering if there is a rep that sells those things, what a cool job to have) and they line me up using some stickers and three tiny tattooed black dots on my belly. And I said I'd never get another tattoo again! You have to lay really still, which was hard at first but I have a few relaxation tricks I've used (thanks for the thermometer tip, Cindy!) and the machine just rotates around and does it's thing. The whole deal is said and done in less than 2 minutes and I don't feel a thing.

Today I will mark my halfway point through the treatments. I am thankful for feeling as well as I do and for all of the supportive words and hugs that I have gotten from you all. I will be done with these treatments before I know it and ready to get back to running and sweaty yoga. Oh, and I am officially back on the blog wagon... stay tuned for more posts!

xoxo...

5 comments:

  1. Besides consuming "fishie" stuff ;-) what else have you been up to?

    Love,
    Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the details, as, I'm sure is everyone. Know it's been rough and hope we can get down soon to give you big hugs and kisses from Momma and Daddy. You have been amazingly strong and will continue that optimistic attitude for the next 60 years. Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you rock, JB!!! Glad you can still practice yoga. your positive energy is an inspiration. and i gotta ditto your parents -- love you always, jb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still think about and praying for you. Thanks for the update. Love, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're doing well. This blog is a great idea. Just wanted to say, if you caught the same cold I did, it's making _everyone_ very tired -- I've been sleeping every chance I get for weeks. I call it the sleeping disease. So be extra easy on yourself. I know -- it is frustrating not to be able to keep up your normal level of accomplishing things! Glad to hear the thermometer trick is helping. :) Take care and take it easy!

    ReplyDelete