Tuesday, February 9, 2010

...and that's my final answer

It seems like things are finally winding down a bit in terms of doctors visits thanks to being able to cram most of them in yesterday afternoon, and so I can finally post the most definite plans we will have until after the surgery.

The surgery has actually been moved to Friday, February 19th at 10:15am. It's an outpatient surgery and shouldn't last more than an hour and a half. I was able to see a radiation oncologist yesterday, who said I was a good candidate for radiation. Provided I won't need chemo, which would usually start after the surgery, I can start the radiation 2 weeks after the surgery and it will be every day, Monday-Friday for about 6 weeks or so. I'll have a weird sunburn in the shape of a square in a really uncomfortable place for a few weeks before it turns to tan. Already shopping for cute bathing suits to cover the bizarre tan line I'll have this summer!

Some other great news from my medical oncologist... she totally agreed with my decision to go with lumpectomy (not surprising) and said that she would be "really surprised" if I need chemo!

Many of you know that Dan and I had planned on starting a family this year before I got diagnosed. One of the most heartbreaking things I have struggled with during this process is whether or not we will be able to have children. Because chemo can cause infertility and early menopause in some women, not having chemo would be a great thing for us! Another concern of ours is the drug tamoxifen I will have to be on for 5 years after the surgery during which I absolutely cannot get pregnant. My oncologist said that the 5 years is "negotiable" and although not ideal, I might be able to break after about 2-3 years to have children and then go back on it. We are still weighing our risks and benefits in that regard (because my tumor responds to estrogen, being pregnant regardless is going to slightly increase my risk of a recurrence but less so if it is after the 5 years). Dan and I are not ruling out the very expensive option of preserving embryos after the surgery, before radiation and tamoxifen, just in case.

Well, that's the latest and greatest! Now, for what I'm really excited about... a shorter recovery from my surgery means I *should* still be able to go to South by Southwest this year!! My friends Nicole, Laura, Ajit, and Shaun will be coming and I am really looking forward to relaxing and catching some great live music with them. Check out the lineup announced so far:

http://sxsw.com/music

4 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Sheryl and I are both rooting for you. You have four great things going for you - early diagnosis, aggressive treatment, a great attitude, and Dan. We wish you the best and will support you with whatever you need from us.

    Love
    John Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only information I can offer here is people my age are having babies. OMG what a horrible thought! ;-)
    Love........Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! I'm so glad you only need to do the lumpectomy and likely just the radiation. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping for a quick recovery.

    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Jessica,

    How strange to be reading another breast cancer blog other than my own. When I told my sons who were in the bath that I had to speak to my new friend Jessica who had an owie in her body like mommy had and was having it removed one of them started crying and said, "Mommy, I don't want Ms. Jessica to be hurt like you". I hugged him so tight and told him that with our prayers and your positive thoughts and energy you will beat this.

    Let's have a toast to that horrible tumor and some lymph nodes being in a petri dish tomorrow.

    My every thought is with you.

    - Cecelia

    ReplyDelete