Thursday, May 13, 2010

Home stretch

Ok, all you runners out there can relate to this. You know those days when you set out to do a long, hard run but you're just not "feeling it"? Maybe you're especially tired after a long work week plus you stayed out too late last night not to mention it's 101 degrees outside and 90% humidity. Okay, so you are about 75% done with your run and you come across the shortcut back home. If you're an overachiever like me, you're not going to take the shortcut. But... you know that split second where you actually really consider taking the shortcut, where home and a cold shower and tall glass of water could come a mile or so sooner, and even though you really aren't going to quit early, you relish in the thought of it?

That's just about how I'm feeling right now.

Of course, in this case, quitting really, truly is not an option for me. But, I have to admit to having this tiny little fantasy where my oncologist calls me up tomorrow morning and says, "you know, if you really wanted to quit and not finish these last 2 treatments you totally have that option". I know, I know, it's only 2 more treatments. After 34 of them, what's the big deal? Well, if you have been following my blog at all, you have probably learned that patience is not my virtue. I'm seriously ready to get on with things already.

I think half of the problem with two more treatments is that one of them happens to fall on Monday. I'd love to start a new fresh week and go a full 5 days without a 5pm radiation date. But, to borrow a phrase from one of my favorite former managers, "it is what it is". So true!!

So, I guess I better suck it up and get ready for the last mile. It will be Tuesday before I know it and I can't wait for the tall cold margarita waiting for me at the end of my radiation run.

3 comments:

  1. You are so close Jessica! I'm glad you have a tall margarita waiting for you. You deserve a huge prize after this long stretch. p.s. I love your writing style - it's like I can hear you speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget the Dark Chocolate! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to buy you a margarita!!

    ReplyDelete